South African Market Performance – 31 October 2015
- JSE All Share (ALSI) 53,793.74
- Rand/Euro R 15.22
- Rand/Pound R 21.34
- Rand/US Dollar R 13.83
- Rand/Aus Dollar R 9.87
- The FTSE/JSE All Share (ALSI) gained 7.6% on a total return basis for the month and over the 12 months gained 11.6%. Large Caps (up 7.9%) outperformed Mid Caps (up 6.3%) and Small Caps (up 5.2%).
- The best-performing sectors were Media (up 17.0%), Chemicals (up 16.3%) and Forestry and Paper (up 13.5%). The worst-performing sectors were Industrial Metals (down 13.1%), Mobile Telecommunications (down 8.5%) and Support Services (down 5.8%).
- Over a 10-year period, Industrials (up 21.8% p.a.) outperformed Financials (up 16.3% p.a.) and Resources (up 4.4% p.a.). The composition of the ALSI as at the end of the month was Industrials 66.0%, Resources 10.9% and Financials the remaining 23.1%.
- The All Bond Index gained 1.3% for the month and over the 12 months gained 4.9%. The Inflation-linked Bond Index gained 2.0% and over the 12 months gained 5.6%.
- The SA Listed Property Index gained 2.1% for the month and over 12 months gained 20.2%.
- Cash returned 0.5% for the month and over the 12 months returned 6.4%. Over a 10-year period, inflation in the form of ECPI has been 6.1% p.a.
International Market Performance
- The Rand strengthened 0.2% against the US Dollar and 1.6% against the Euro in October 2015.
- The MSCI World Index gained 8.0% on a total return basis in US Dollar terms for the month and over 12 months gained 2.3%. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index gained 7.1% for the month and over the 12 months declined 14.2%.
- The best-performing emerging market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the MSCI Turkey (up 12.3%), while the worst-performing was the MSCI India (up 1.6%).
- The best-performing developed market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the Nasdaq 100 (up 11.2%), while the worst-performing was the FTSE 100 (up 7.2%).
- The US Dollar Platinum price gained 8.8% for the month and over the 12 months declined 20.5%. The US Dollar Gold price gained 2.4% for the month and over the 12 months declined 4.9%. Brent Crude gained 2.2% for the month and over the 12 months declined 43.6%.