South African Market Performance – 31 January 2015
- JSE All Share (ALSI) 51,266.81
- Rand/Euro R 13.15
- Rand/Pound R 17.55
- Rand/US Dollar R 11.65
- Rand/Aus Dollar R 9.05
- The FTSE/JSE All Share (ALSI) gained 3.1% on a total return basis for the month and over the 12 months gained 17.1%. Mid Caps (up 5.6%) outperformed Small Caps (up 4.6%) and Large Caps (up 2.6%).
- The best-performing sectors were Gold Mining (up 32.2%), General Retailers (up 13.7%) and Media (up 12.0%). The worst performing sectors were Construction & Materials (down 8.4%), Personal Goods (down 8.1%) and Mobile Telecommunications (down 7.4%).
- Over a 10-year period, Industrials (up 22.9% p.a.) outperformed Financials (up 17.2% p.a.) and Resources (up 10.9% p.a.). The composition of the ALSI as at the end of the month was Industrials 58.6%, Resources 19.0% and Financials the remaining 22.4%.
- The All Bond Index gained 6.5% for the month and over the 12 months gained 21.2%. The Inflation-linked Bond Index declined 0.03% and over the 12 months gained 15.7%.
- The SA Listed Property Index gained 7.4% for the month and over 12 months gained 46.4%.
- Cash returned 0.5% for the month and over the 12 months returned 6.1%. Over a 10-year period, inflation in the form of ECPI has been 6.0% p.a.
International Market Performance
- The Rand weakened 1.5% against the US Dollar and strengthened 6.5% against the Euro in January 2015.
- The MSCI World Index declined 1.8% on a total return basis in US Dollar terms for the month and over 12 months gained 7.6%. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index gained 0.6% for the month and over the 12 months gained 5.6%.
- The best-performing emerging market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the MSCI India (up 7.9%), while the worst-performing was the Bovespa (down 7.1%).
- The best-performing developed market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the Hang Seng (up 3.8%), while the worst-performing was the Dow Jones Industrial 30 (down 3.6%).
- The US Dollar Platinum price gained 1.2% for the month and over the 12 months declined 12.0%. The US Dollar Gold price gained 5.6% for the month and over the 12 months gained 2.6%. Brent Crude declined 20.9% for the month and over the 12 months declined 57.5%.