South African Market Performance – 31 May 2015
- JSE All Share (ALSI) 52,270.86
- Rand/Euro R 13.36
- Rand/Pound R 18.58
- Rand/US Dollar R 12.15
- Rand/Aus Dollar R 9.30
- The FTSE/JSE All Share (ALSI) declined 4.0% on a total return basis for the month and over the 12 months gained 8.5%. Small Caps (down 0.7%) outperformed Large Caps (down 4.0%) and Mid Caps (down 4.7%).
- The best-performing sectors were Oil & Gas Producers (up 13.8%), Forestry & Paper (up 11.2%) and Electronic & Electrical Equipment (up 7.4%). The worst performing sectors were Gold Mining (down 17.9%), Fixed Line Telecommunications (down 15.2%) and Coal Mining (down 13.6%).
- Over a 10-year period, Industrials (up 23.0% p.a.) outperformed Financials (up 17.2% p.a.) and Resources (up 9.1% p.a.). The composition of the ALSI as at the end of the month was Industrials 62.4%, Resources 14.6% and Financials the remaining 23.0%
- The All Bond Index declined 0.7% for the month and over the 12 months gained 9.5%. The Inflation-linked Bond Index declined 1.9% and over the 12 months gained 6.1%.
- The SA Listed Property Index declined 5.9% for the month and over 12 months gained 31.7%.
- Cash returned 0.5% for the month and over the 12 months returned 6.3%. Over a 10-year period, inflation in the form of ECPI has been 6.2% p.a.
International Market Performance
- The Rand weakened 3.0% against the US Dollar and 1.8% against the Euro in May 2015.
- The MSCI World Index gained 0.4% on a total return basis in US Dollar terms for the month and over 12 months gained 6.3%. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index declined 4.0% for the month and over the 12 months gained 0.3%.
- The best-performing emerging market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the MSCI India (up 2.8%), while the worst-performing was the Bovespa (down 11.9%).
- The best-performing developed market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the NASDAQ 100 (up 2.4%), while the worst-performing was the DAX 30 (down 2.5%).
- The US Dollar Platinum price declined 3.7% for the month and over the 12 months declined 22.9%. The US Dollar Gold price declined 1.8% for the month and over the 12 months declined 5.5%. Brent Crude gained 4.7% for the month and over the 12 months declined 41.9%.