South African Market Performance – 30 September 2015
- JSE All Share (ALSI) 50,088.86
- Rand/Euro R 15.43
- Rand/Pound R 20.88
- Rand/US Dollar R 13.82
- Rand/Aus Dollar R 9.70
- The FTSE/JSE All Share (ALSI) gained 1.0% on a total return basis for the month and over the 12 months gained 4.8%. Large Caps (up 2.0%) outperformed Small Caps (down 2.0%) and Mid Caps (down 4.6%).
- The best-performing sectors were Beverages (up 26.3%), Personal Goods (up 10.3%) and Tobacco (up 8.4%). The worst-performing sectors were Platinum Mining (down 27.5%), Coal Mining (down 21.8%) and Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology (down 13.3%).
- Over a 10-year period, Industrials (up 20.5% p.a.) outperformed Financials (up 15.3% p.a.) and Resources (up 3.5% p.a.). The composition of the ALSI as at the end of the month was Industrials 65.7%, Resources 11.0% and Financials the remaining 23.3%.
- The All Bond Index declined 0.1% for the month and over the 12 months gained 7.0%. The Inflation-linked Bond Index declined 0.3% and over the 12 months gained 5.1%.
- The SA Listed Property Index gained 0.8% for the month and over 12 months gained 25.8%.
- Cash returned 0.5% for the month and over the 12 months returned 6.4%. Over a 10-year period, inflation in the form of ECPI has been 6.1% p.a.
International Market Performance
- The Rand weakened 4.0% against the US Dollar and 3.7% against the Euro in September 2015.
- The MSCI World Index declined 3.6% on a total return basis in US Dollar terms for the month and over 12 months declined 4.6%. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index declined 3.0% for the month and over the 12 months declined 19.0%.
- The best-performing emerging market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the MSCI India (down 0.5%), while the worst-performing was the Bovespa (down 11.6%).
- The best-performing developed market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the Dow Jones Industrial 30 (down 1.4%), while the worst-performing was the Nikkei 225 (down 6.2%).
- The US Dollar Platinum price declined 9.5% for the month and over the 12 months declined 30.2%. The US Dollar Gold price declined 1.5% for the month and over the 12 months declined 8.2%. Brent Crude declined 3.7% for the month and over the 12 months declined 50.2%.