South African Market Performance – 28 February 2015
- JSE All Share (ALSI) 53,344.20
- Rand/Euro R 13.05
- Rand/Pound R 18.00
- Rand/US Dollar R 11.66
- Rand/Aus Dollar R 9.11
- The FTSE/JSE All Share (ALSI) gained 4.1% on a total return basis for the month and over the 12 months gained 16.1%. Large Caps (up 4.5%) outperformed Mid Caps (up 1.9%) and Small Caps (up 0.8%).
- The best-performing sectors were Fixed Line Telecommunications (up 17.7%), General Mining (up 14.2%) and Household Goods (up 12.6%). The worst performing sectors were Construction & Materials (down 9.8%), Gold Mining (down 8.7%) and Food and Drug Retailers (down 7.2%).
- Over a 10-year period, Industrials (up 23.0% p.a.) outperformed Financials (up 17.3% p.a.) and Resources (up 10.6% p.a.). The composition of the ALSI as at the end of the month was Industrials 58.0%, Resources 19.8% and Financials the remaining 22.2%.
- The All Bond Index declined 2.8% for the month and over the 12 months gained 15.1%. The Inflation-linked Bond Index declined 0.3% and over the 12 months gained 11.8%.
- The SA Listed Property Index gained 3.2% for the month and over 12 months gained 44.3%.
- Cash returned 0.5% for the month and over the 12 months returned 6.1%. Over a 10-year period, inflation in the form of ECPI has been 5.9% p.a.
International Market Performance
- The Rand weakened 0.2% against the US Dollar and strengthened 0.6% against the Euro in February 2015.
- The MSCI World Index gained 5.9% on a total return basis in US Dollar terms for the month and over 12 months gained 8.4%. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index gained 3.1% for the month and over the 12 months gained 5.4%.
- The best-performing emerging market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the MSCI Russia (up 22.8%), while the worst-performing was the MSCI Turkey (down 9.1%).
- The best-performing developed market index from the selection of international equity indices for the month was the Nasdaq 100 (up 7.0%), while the worst-performing was the Hang Seng 30 (up 1.3%).
- The US Dollar Platinum price declined 6.7% for the month and over the 12 months declined 18.7%. The US Dollar Gold price declined 5.9% for the month and over the 12 months declined 8.8%. Brent Crude gained 30.4% for the month and over the 12 months declined 44.8%.